What We Liked and Didn’t Like About Underworld Awakening
We can never tire of watching Kate Beckinsale prance about in that tight leather outfit I tell ya. Never!
What we liked:
- Kate Beckinsale in that tight black leather outfit. Sure, some of it is CGI effects, but how does she even manage to move her arms in it never mind beat up bad guys!
- It’s like watching one of The Matrix sequels, except it’s much much shorter and far less pretentious. Plus there are cheesy werewolves in it now, which can’t be a bad thing, right?
- Um, can’t rightly think of anything else. But Kate Beckinsale in a tight leather outfit goes a long way, doesn’t it?
What we didn’t like:
- It’s nonstop action with few breathers. So what’s our problem then? Well, we actually wanted to care about the characters and the plot, but the movie doesn’t really spend any time on such niceties. It just careens haphazardly from one action set piece to the next which is fine if you’re drunk or suffer from ADD, but still . . .
- Movie werewolves are always a dodgy prospect, but the so-called “lycans” here are really cheesy. Who’s a good boy? Who’s a good boy?
- It’s kinda sad seeing a fine actor such as Stephen Rea appear in crap like this. I mean the guy was the lead in The Crying Game fer, er, crying out loud! He probably needed money for the retirement fund!
- J. Michael Straczynski of Babylon 5 fame is one of six (!) screenwriters credited. If I were him I would ask them to remove my name. (One can only assume that the others rewrote whatever good stuff he wrote!)
- Len Wiseman, who directed the upcoming Total Recall remake, is one of the credited screenwriters. Fear the future . . .